Welcome

Here you will find delicious, usually healthy and always vegetarian goodies fresh from my kitchen. Enjoy and let me know what you think.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Quick and Easy Granola Bars


It is such a lovely day outside, I almost feel guilty sitting here at noon typing on my computer, but I did just get finished with the Incline in Colorado Springs (check out this site if you have no idea what I am talking about... http://www.manitouincline.com/).  

Manitou Incline



Afterwards, I managed to eat my last homemade granola bar, so I figured what better way to relax than to cook up some more to use for the next few weeks on the incline...my goal is once per week.  I am not sure what my time was today (my watch is broken as is my cell phone), but last week it was 48 minutes, and this week I 'ran' some of the sections.  Needless to say, I was a bit hungry and now attempting to rest a bit.  So, here goes on the granola bars...the batter tasted amazingly delicious, and the bars tasted even better! (Yes, I had a granola bar after the incline, and one while cooking...you can't expect me to post something without actually trying it can you?!?!

And while I am at it, my dog is in a sleeping dog photo contest that goes until the end of March, 2012...please vote for him!  You know he is absolutely adorable!
http://gazette.upickem.net/engine/Details.aspx?p=V&c=51777&s=18313640


Quick and Easy Granola Bars

3 C. Rolled Oats
1/4 C. Flax Seeds
1/2 C. Honey (bit more if you like things sweeter)
1/2 C. Protein Powder of your choice
1 1/2 C. Powdered Milk (or soy powder if you are going dairy free)
1 T. Ground Cinnamon
1/4 t. Ground Ginger
1 Egg
1 T. Lemon Juice in a half cup measuring cup filled the rest of the way with water (or 1/2 C. of your favorite juice)
1 C. mix of Almonds, Sunflower Seeds, Almonds, Raisins and Craisins (or any mix you desire)
1/2 C. Applesauce

Preheat oven to 350 F


In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients and stir thoroughly.  If the mixture is too runny, add more oats until almost the texture of cookie dough.


Grease a 9x13 baking pan and pour in batter.  Place in oven and cook for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

Remove from oven and let cool for 20 minutes before enjoying!



After the bars have completely cooled, you can cut them up in squares freeze them.  Just separate the squares with wax paper, aluminum foil and then place in a freezable container to later be removed and enjoyed in the future!  Even if you don't plan on freezing them, I would probably store them in the fridge just to be on the safe side...food poisoning kinda ruins playing outside...just sayin'

Inspiration courtesy of: http://www.ehow.com/how_4470045_energy-barseasy-healthy-homemade.html

No comments:

Post a Comment