Welcome

Here you will find delicious, usually healthy and always vegetarian goodies fresh from my kitchen. Enjoy and let me know what you think.

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Spicy Carrots and Beets



I have been trying all summer and fall to get my beets to grow.  I planted them mid spring in hopes that I would have decent size beets to use in my fall recipes.  I watered them (well, my parents did most of the time because I kept forgetting about them), but that is beside the point...they got watered, except for the week of evacuation, but they survived.  Well, needless to say, 6 months later I ended up with some beets...the size of these said beets might be a joke...I pulled up one that was a whopping .5 inch diameter...another one fared a bit better and got to 1 inch in diameter.  Not the size I was hoping for, but still edible...not sure I am cut out to be a beet farmer.  I might just have to support my local farmer's market more.  I was still determined to use MY beets in this recipe, so the version I made was heavy on the carrots and onions and light on the beets (and a bit spicier than I had intended).  I am going to post the version I made and then I have provided the link for my inspiration at the bottom if you want the full fledged version.

Serves 2 with rice on the side

3 itty bitty beets boiled and sliced and diced
1 big carrot sliced
1 medium onion diced
1 t. oil for sauteing
1 t. garlic powder
2 green chilies diced
1 to 2 t. curry
1/4 t. chili powder
1/4 t. salt
1/3 C. coconut water + 2 T. powdered milk =my version of coconut milk

  1. In a medium pan, heat the oil on medium.
  2. Add the onions ad saute until translucent.
  3. Add the garlic, curry, chili powder and salt, stir
  4. Add the carrots, beets and green chilies.  Stir and cook until the carrots are tender to your liking.
  5. Add the coconut water/milk concoction and stir.  
  6. Serve over rice (brown rice is preferred if you remember to start cooking it right before you begin sauteing everything
Enjoy!!!!




Inspiration courtesy of:http://www.onetribegourmet.com/2012/02/spicy-beets-carrot-curry-in-coconut-milk/

No comments:

Post a Comment