Welcome

Here you will find delicious, usually healthy and always vegetarian goodies fresh from my kitchen. Enjoy and let me know what you think.

Friday, January 13, 2012

Spinach Pancake Sandwich


Apparently, I like to come home on a Friday night and start cooking.  It could be the fact that I don't have a lot of energy left over from opening at Starbucks 2 days in a row, nannying, and trying to fit in running and rock climbing in the meantime.  And for me, cooking is a way for me to relax and calm down.  This night, I realized that I had a lot of spinach that was sitting in my fridge going to waste.  Seeing as it is still winter (and cold) in Colorado, a spinach salad with my new favorite salad dressing of a super fruit vinegrette did not sound too warming on a cold winter night, so I did what I do for most of my recipes and inspirations...I headed to Pinterest!  There I stumbled across these pancakes...perfect combination...spinach (to keep up with my goal of eating more veggies) and warmed up, but not the icky just cooked spinach.  And it contained a bit of protein to help my muscles recover from all the strength training and rock climbing that I have been doing.


Spinach Pancake Sandwich

(What the original recipe calls for...due to the fact that I don't always follow directions or measure out what I am supposed to...don't worry, I will tell you later how I fixed mine)

3 C. (Handfuls) Fresh Spinach
3 Eggs
2/3 C. Rice Flour

My ingredients (and seeing as it was only me eating)

2 C. (Handfuls) Fresh Spinach
2 Eggs
3 Heaping Spoonfulls of Whole Wheat Flour (I work at Starbucks and thus cannot afford many specialty items, and I am also not gluten intolerant so there is not need to cut out healthy whole wheat flour)
Salt, Pepper and Dried Basil to season

Extra egg to make a sandwich
Cheese (I used some fresh homemade 'mozzarella')


In a blender mix spinach and eggs until pureed...yes, it will share a great resemblance with baby food, but I can guarantee you it is much tastier in the end!


Now add flour and blend or stir until thoroughly combined.


Heat skillet and spoon mixture into pancake sizes onto slightly greased skillet.  It should bubble on top like pancakes, but if not, flip when they start to brown on one side and do not stick anymore.


Right as the pancakes were finishing up on their second side, I started to cook a third egg for the pancake sandwich that I was going to make.  



As soon as the egg is done, remove pancakes from skillet, top with cheese, egg and the other pancake.  If so desired, add tomato and any other delicious vegetable that you would like to your pancake sandwich.

This is one recipe that I will be making again.  It was absolutely delicious and the egg and cheese really brought out and combined all the flavors.  Next time, I will be trying it with some hummus and other goodness yet to be determined.



In the end, I had some left over batter and I was still hungry, so I cooked it up in one huge spinach pancake and lightly topped it with the homemade 'mozzarella'.

Inspiration courtesy of http://spabettie.com/2011/01/21/spinach-pancakes/

No comments:

Post a Comment