Welcome

Here you will find delicious, usually healthy and always vegetarian goodies fresh from my kitchen. Enjoy and let me know what you think.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Whole Wheat Cranberry Almond Biscotti






While working on my admissions essay to get into grad school at CSU, I needed a distraction and a way to keep myself busy but at the same time, low key enough to process and order my thoughts about how I was going to write an essay about myself.  What better way than to cook biscotti to dunk into all the tea and coffee that I have been consuming.  Of course I changed the original recipe to make it a bit healthier.  The result is what follows.  In mine however, I accidentally left out a few key ingredients that I will be sure to add to the recipe that I post here.  I blame the memory lapse to the excess quantity of mate that I had consumed...which for some ironic reason was the inspiration of the biscotti.  

Makes 14-16

Whole Wheat Cranberry Almond Biscotti

1 C. Whole Wheat Flour
2 T. Flax Seed
6 T. Sugar (which equals 1/4 C. + 2 T. Sugar)
1/2 t. Baking Powder
1/4 t. Baking Soda (this is what I left out)
1 Egg
1 Egg White
1/2 T. Almond Extract
7 oz. Craisins
7 oz. Slivered Almonds
1 T. Lemon Zest (I used 1 t. lemon extract)

1/2 C. White Chocolate Chips
1/2 T. Oil


Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Add the first 5 ingredients and mix thoroughly. 


Make a little hole in your dry mixture and add the next 6 ingredients.  Stir until thoroughly combined.  


Pour onto a greased cookie sheet and spread out until the mixture is about 1/4" to 1/2" thick.  Make sure to keep batter away from the edges to prevent burning of your soon to be super delicious biscotti.  


Bake for 30 minutes at 325F


Remove from oven reduce heat to 300 F and slice half cooked biscotti once length wise and then proceed to make about 1/2" cuts width wise.  Place biscotti on sides this time before placing back in the oven.

Place back in the oven at 300 F and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes.


Remove from oven and let cool.



Either enjoy without the white chocolate chip drizzle or proceed to the next steps to top with the white chocolate chip drizzle.


To make the White Chocolate Chip Drizzle

While the biscotti is cooling, combine the white chocolate chips and the oil in a microwave safe container and microwave until the chips are melted-about 1 minute.




After the Biscotti has cooled completely, drizzle the melted White Chocolate over the Biscotti, covering the biscotti as much as you would like.

Let the White Chocolate dry and enjoy your freshly baked biscotti fresh right now or with your next cup of coffee, tea or hot chocolate.

Inspiration courtesy of http://lottamadness.com/home/2011/11/23/almond-cranberry-biscotti/

No comments:

Post a Comment