Welcome

Here you will find delicious, usually healthy and always vegetarian goodies fresh from my kitchen. Enjoy and let me know what you think.

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sweet Potato Cannelloni


I don't know if I have mentioned it, but I have gotten accepted into grad school at CSU!  I am beyond stoked. This however means, that I will not have as much free time for cooking and such, so I am trying to get it all out of my system before I get crazy busy.   And again I love sweet potatoes so much, I just keep cooking with them.  (Did I mention that I turned orange as a little tot because I at so many sweet potatoes.)  This one is perfect for sweet potato lovers: sweet potato puree wrapped in sweet potatoes!  This dish is a bit time consuming, but not very complicated, and totally worth your time.

Sweet Potato Cannelloni

  • 3 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound each
  • 3/4 c. low fat cottage cheese
  • 3/4 c. diced apple
  • 3 T. chopped fresh chives
  • 2 ounces Parmesan cheese
  • dash salt
  • ground pepper to taste
  • cooking spray
  • 1 T. oil
  • 1/3 c. chopped toasted walnuts or almonds


  1. Preheat oven to 350 F
  2. Thoroughly cook 1 sweet potato in your choice of cooking.  (I cooked mine in the microwave wrapped in plastic wrap.)
  3. While the sweet potato is cooking, wash and peel the remaining 2 sweet potatoes.  Using a mandoline  thinly slice the sweet potatoes, making about 30 slices in total.  
  4. Bring a large pot of water to boil.  Place half the sliced sweet potatoes in the boiling water.  Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the slices are tender.  Remove the slices from the water and repeat with the other half of the slices.  
  5. Remove the peeling from the whole cooked potato.  Puree the sweet potato with the cottage cheese.  
  6. Move the puree mixture to a bowl and stir in the diced apple, chives, 1 ounce of the Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.  
  7. Spray a 9x13 inch pan.  
  8. Place 1 heaping tablespponful in the center of each sweet potato slice and roll up.  Place each roll, seam side down in the baking dish. 
  9. Brush the oil over the cannelloni and bake for 10-15 minutes.  Remove from oven and sprinkle with the almonds/walnuts and Parmesan cheese.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment