Welcome

Here you will find delicious, usually healthy and always vegetarian goodies fresh from my kitchen. Enjoy and let me know what you think.

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Delicious Spinach Delicacies

It's New Year's Eve, and I might be slightly starting with my continual life goal of cooking, trying, and eating healthy concoctions from my kitchen.  Tonight was a delicious Spinach Balls recipe.  Spinach is great for you, but sometimes hard to include in your diet.  I was just having this conversation with a friend last night about how great spinach is for you, including cooked spinach, but how difficult it is to actually eat cooked spinach...the texture is not so appetizing when it is eaten by itself.  So, this is where the Spinach Balls come into play...Cooked spinach, and it actually tastes delicious!

Makes 18-24 balls, depending on how big you make them

Spinach Balls


2-3 T. Butter (just enough to saute the onions)
1 onion finely chopped (I used more because I love onion and to add more vegetables to my food)
1 t. minced garlic (Again, I used more because I love the taste of garlic)
1 8 oz. package prepared stuffing (vegetarian if possible)
1 8oz can of cooked spinach (or frozen spinach)
3 Large Eggs
1/2 C. Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/2 C. Shredded Cheese of your choice (I used Part-Skim Mozzarella) 
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


Heat and melt butter in pan.


Add chopped onions and cook until transparent (about 5 minutes).  Add garlic and cook until flavor releases (about 30 seconds)


Once onions and garlic are cooked, place all the remaining ingredients to a medium mixing bowl.  


Add onion/garlic mixture and mix until well blended.  


Roll spinach mixture into about 1 inch size balls.


Cook for 15-20 minutes or until slightly browned.

These spinach balls are best fresh out of the oven.  I ate them without a dip, piping out, burn your mouth, but if you desire more flavor or if you are preparing them for a party, marinara, ranch or any other dipping sauce of your preference will make for great flavor and presentation!

No comments:

Post a Comment